The following articles were produced by the 1993 word processing class of Hill City High School under teacher Diane Boyd and student teacher Shannon Cole, in collaboration with the Graham County Historical Society (Mrs. Ruth Bangle and Mrs. Opal Jackson) and were featured as place mats by Vickie Ashbaugh of the Shack II Restaurant.
Mr. W. R. Hill was born in Fountain County, near Covington, Indiana, on June 23, 1849. At the age of one year, Mr. Hill and his family moved to a farm in Champaign County. Mr. Hill lived there until age 22 when he married Miss Margaret Jones. To this union W. H. Hill was born on December 7, 1872.
Two years later, Mr. Hill and his family moved to Hutchinson, Kansas, where he and others were laying out the town site. He also helped lay out several cities that are now the heartland of Wichita.
Mr. W.R.. Hill first landed where Hill City now stands on September 26, 1876. He returned back to Topeka via Ellis. On December 26, 1876, 13 wagons pulled out of Topeka, westward bound. In January 1877, the company fund themselves in the worst blizzards this region had ever seen. Most of the company decided to go no farther, but Mr. Hill and John Stanley continued their journey reaching Hill City on February 1, 1877.
The next group of settlers came from Kentucky, and they established the town of Nicodemus. In the fall of 1878, Mr. Hill went to Georgetown, Kentucky, and brought back a settlement of white people. Among these people were W.J. Crawford and family.
In March of 1879, Mr. Hill went to Henry County, Kentucky, where he married Mrs. Lydia Hockersmith and had the very first child born in Hill City. Mr. W.R. Hill died at East Lynne, Missouri, on February 21, 1905.
created by Terri Roehl
signed, James P. Pomeroy
The above picture is printed from a wood cut. It is perhaps the first picture ever printed of the Graham County Courthouse. Lacking in this picture is the fire escape which was fastened to the west wall. The tower, a landmark for miles in all directions, was removed later so a corrugated steel roof could be applied to the surface to prevent the roof from leaking. As an interesting note, the clock that was on the courthouse tower was painted on; it was never real. The old Graham County Courthouse was torn down in October of 1959 by the Gano Brothers.
created by Mandy Sue Cooper
As a dramatic producer, Miss Kackley rated the following from Billboard: "Olive Kackley is the most remarkable woman in America in her line of work, putting on Royalty Plays in less than a week."
As a director, she inspired the Platform World to write: "She has inspired thousands of young people by her character building work."
As an actress her work prompted Theater & Drama to write: "Miss Kackley is a thorough Shakespearean scholar and is an interpreter of Shakespearean characters she has shown exceptional ability."
created by Matt Lyon
This picture was taken in the late 1920's is one of the first airplanes in this area. It was owned by a doctor from Wichita who made trips here monthly. Picture was taken by Roy Gustafson on land currently owned by George Gustafson.
created by Brain Riley
Mr. Bogue, an officer for the Union Pacific Railroad, drove a hard bargain. It would have been easier to put the depot in the newly established town of Fagan. Mr. Nate D. Minor would not lower his land price. Perhaps out of spite, Mr. Bogue went one and a half mile east to establish the town of Bogue.
The original town of Bogue was plotted by the Union Land Company on September 18, 1888. It received the name of Bogue through a quarrel on the placement of a railroad depot.
In 1886, there were rumors of a railroad being built around 1887. There was a fight on whether the bond issue would carry. The railroad was completed by October 15, 1888.
Bogue became a booming railroad town. When it was only six weeks old it already had a bank, several stores, three meat markets, a blacksmith shop and the largest depot on the L and CR. west of Salina. Thirty buildings were up and several more in the process of erection. Some buildings were being moved in from Fagan, Nicodemus and Millbrook.
created by Bridgette Garrison
In 1922 on August 9, the Holy Guardian Angle Parish of Fargo was closed by Father Mattingly. The building was later sold for $110.
created by Michael Pimlot
The picture below is the First Baptist Church. The First Baptist Church was built in 1907 and was built around a smaller church earlier in the years. The bell tower was blown off in 1930 by a windstorm, but they managed to rebuild it later on. The church is still used on special occasions (Homecoming Emancipation Celebration and on holidays).
created by Chiterria Bates
Shortly after the dedication of the church, the question of a bell for the church arose. Sociables were held to raise funds for the bell. This process was slow and the question of a bell drifted along until 1908. Sunday School subscriptions were sold to raise the rest of the money. A 30 inch bell was ordered on August 22, 1908, from Menelly & Company, the oldest bell foundry in the United States. The bell weighed 557 pounds, had a tone of "C", cost $167.00 and was warranted for 15 years. I arrived in Hill City on September 19, 1908.
created by Kristin Boyd